April 9, 2010

Comfrey darling, comfrey...

Comfrey was brought yesterday by a postmen complaining about his aching knee. Package was pretty big to make comfrey's black roots comfortable while travelling, in this really cozy moss bed. I swapped Hydrangea paniculata Limelight baby to get this lazy looking beasty kid. Why to want it so much? Utopia, darling, idea fix – however you call it.

Comfrey finds his home in my garden because of its great natural fertilizing values. First it is free fertiliser, second it will make my garden more self-sufficient. With the time I am more and more bored with going shopping, so more and more often I do things to follow my utopia idea of being self-sufficient. Let’s say that on a better days, I believe it's possible to certain extend.

While gardening in real organic way, not industry promoted way, I am on my quest to improve soil quality without tiling. Why? Because lazy gardening is better – don’t you think? I prefer to spend more time to read in my garden, than only work, work, work... Don't get me wrong. I do like to work in the garden and it will never be possible to do nothing, but I want to reach balance with the help of Nature and make my garden self-sufficient in nutrients, that are removed while harvesting.
There are scientific proofs, that without tiling and weeding it is possible to get even better crops than while tiling and weeding. Sounds revolutionary? I know.

Lazy gardening doesn’t mean doing completely nothing – it means changing way of thinking, changing way of gardening and focusing on doing only necessary things.

Comfrey is one of my steps to ‘lazy gardening’ – what are yours? Or maybe you fully reject this idea and prefer too much work in the garden? How is it with you?

Recommended further reading Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family

16 comments:

Anna Bee said...

Ewa -

I'm with you on lazyness - lots of permaculture sheet mulch used on my allotment - no digging, and less weeds!

Anna

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Ewa girl ! what big roots Comfrey has !! LOL
I agree with making your garden as easy going as possible .. thus getting the grass out is my plan .. and plants that don't have to be babied is a big point : )
Enjoyed your post girl ! .. how was that postman's knee ? LOL

Darla said...

This is interesting about the Comfrey...need to think on the lazy gardening thing...

Patrick said...

You're very optimistic to hope for a garden without weeding! Indeed, the direction you are heading it a good one, and I wish you the best of luck.

It's certainly true, the best gardens are the ones that are free and you don't need to put a lot of work into!

Also, I'm sorry about the plane crash. This must be quite a shock for everyone in Poland.

Ewa said...

Patrick, thank you for your comforting words - this plane crash is really shocking - I couldn't believe it first. It is still so unreal...

Viooltje said...

I was really shocked to hear about such a sad day for the people of Poland, especially on the Katyn forest anniversary. Really shocking :-(((. Still it is both sad and heartwarming to see your nation so united in the face of such tragedy. So God bless you all in this time of sadness...

Lawn Grubs Queensland said...

Reading in the Garden (Lap of Nature) is truly refreshing. Lazy gardening if practiced in an organized way leads to better results than full time gardening.

Ewa said...

Joy, this root is really huge - it show the beastie side of comfrey - it is almost not possible to eradicate it - so it has to be planted in the final place.
Postman's knee? hmmm... no idea...

Ewa said...

Violet - thanks so much for your words - big, big loss... there is something like collective mind showing its face in such moments...

Anna Bee said...

Ewa -
So sorry for the country's loss. I think the whole world feels this tragedy.

Anna

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I love to lazy around and watch winged beans doing nitrogen fixation in the soil, earthworms creating tunnels to improve the aeration and drainage and leave their poo as organic fertilizer, and bees coming around sucking nectar and pollinating.

~bangchik
Putrajaya Malaysia

Unknown said...

I'm all about making the garden easier to work with too, Ewa. Comfrey has some inclination to spread in some gardens, but it hasn't been a problem here.

Ewa, let me join with others in offering my heartfelt sympathy to you and and all in your country on the terrible loss of President Lech Kaczynski, his wife, and so many of Poland's leaders. It's beyond terrible.

Gail said...

Ewa, What horrible and sad news for you all...My heart goes out to the families of those lost and to your nation. Gail

easygardener said...

I have it at the edge of the vegetable garden and the bees love it.

Christine B. said...

Lazy garden, veggie style: sign me up. My vegetable garden is so small, I don't do much digging anyway;)

Christine in Alaska

LeLo said...

Hello! Very interesting information you share. We have comfrey in the garden but never knew of its additional values. Very interesting!

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS