October 11, 2008

City Gardens - beautiful, small garden in Warsaw welcomes Autumn...

Do you have spare beautiful, antique old door? If yes, you may use it as original entrance to your garden. Give me your hand and let me take you today for a walk at this charming secret garden....

As we enter this place surrounded by NOT beautiful appartment houses... we feel like taking a journey to bucolic, yet elegant, Polish countryside garden. Showy yellow tree foliage belongs to Liriodendron . I must say, that the composition of plants is not very fancy, however somebody who designed it, achieved the feeling of ulimate harmony. On the picture above you see from the left yew, juniperus on the ground, wisteria on woodden pergola, evergreen conifers and at the gate on the left Sorbus aucuparia Pendula (grafted).


Asters (!) in the pots look fresh and surprising. Look at the right upper corner - yellow and red color combination - that is painted by Autumn Fairy... you see more of it further in this post...


After entrance look at the left, you can see here the only patch of grass in entire garden. Have a look on the right - can you see that big smokebush ? It became a small tree already here.


Yucca in the front adds a lot of texture - without yucca, it would be boring corner.


If you look to the right side there is yew, juniperus horizontalis and hydrangeas.
So far I was indifferent to the beauty of small Begonia semperflorens - pink flowers on the left side - but after seeing it here I put it on my shopping list either for next year' spring or still now, to grow it indoor. Do you also like it?



We pass the entrance to the house... and pass by the porch - that narrow space is arranged in such a way, that it seems wider than in reality. Yellow leaves are at their peak now in Poland.


On our way to the back garden we pass asters in the pots...


...and go on... hedera covering the ground, hydrangeas, rhodos. That dramatic branches in front is old lilac - maybe if you keep it like this, you don't see the flowers, but you get the fragrance, shadow in the summer and picturesque dramatic look in the winter.

... oh, look back... wisteria arc, conifers, pine on the yellow background - nice?

... restaurant is waiting for the visitors....


... nature paints amazing pictures... on this wall there is two kind of ivies Parthenocissus turns red now and Wisteria keeps still green.
... look, if you have an old lilac in the garden, don't get rid of it - here is the example - looks wonderful. That old stump must be many, many years old. Maybe 50? or more? In my mom's garden there is lilac 30 years old, but it is nothing comparable in body size...
It is heavily pruned, to be kept smaller.


Summer Pelargonium looks very nice together with pumpkin...


... look - this garden is complete - water garden including big koi fish...

We came to an end of this walk... thank you... I hope you didn't get too much tired...



Have a nice weekend...

19 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Amazing Thank you for sharing Warsaw with us! That door...I'm in love/ LOL Tyra

Viooltje said...

OMG! How on Earth do you find all these treats? Whenever I see a new post about Warszaw on your blog, I know it'll be another delight for both the eyes and mind. The place where you have taken us this time is beyond wonderful. And autumn magic at it's best. Respect!

P.S. that Liriodendron color is delightful!

Country French Antiques said...

Stunning photographs!
I love how they used that door!
Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Oh, what great photos of a lovely garden. I would love to walk out of my door into such a peaceful, beautiful space. Thank you for sharing this garden.

Jan
Always Growing

Gail said...

Ewa,

Thank you for the gracious tour in this delightful garden....I had such a nice time. Didn't you want to sit down in the seating area and just breath in the beauty of the garden? Really lovely.

Gail

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Tired of walking in a wonderful garden with you? Never! :-)

That was a great garden to visit, love those autumn colours, they are absolutely gorgeous!

Barbara said...

I am fond of this large wall covered with the "red wine" and the special entrance to the garden is amazing indeed! What a lovely walk we had with you, Ewa! Thank you!

Victoria Cummings said...

Ewa - I think Warsaw is a beautiful place and you have a knack for finding its special secrets. I love old doors and these are really elegant. In California, we had some great antique Mexican doors made from mesquite wood. The old lilacs are wonderful too!

Clayton said...

Amazing! Thanks Ewa!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A lovely walk through an amazing garden. all the plants are well chosen. I guess to get the most of them all year round. I always loved the small begonias.I have a big pot filled over winter two colours red and pink.
Thank you Ewa for taking me through this grand garden entrance.

Visual Vamp said...

Ewa,
You make the Polish girl who never knew her country home long to see Warsaw one day, the city where my ancestors came to the USA from.
What a magnificent post!
Dzieki
xo xo

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the spectacular garden tour.
Donna

Kylee Baumle said...

What a beautiful garden, Ewa. You always take us on the most wonderful tours! Thank you for sharing!

Millie said...

Ewa, thank you for such beautiful images - I feel so refreshed having had a wander through this lovely 'secret' garden.
Millie ^_^

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I knew this would be a lovely garden when I saw that entrance. How dramatic to have those huge doors as the gate. Thanks for showin us this beautiful place.

themanicgardener said...

I've often heard how beautiful Warsaw is; thank you for showing me that beauty.

You say the apartment buildings are NOT beautiful, but I've certainly seen worse!
--Kate

CIELO said...

I'm in awe! Wow... such lovely place, I almost felt walking in Paradise.... this is too beautiful! thank YOU, Ewa, for sharing these photos with us... they made my day....

Hugs

cielo

Sheila said...

Ewa, these are beautiful photos! Such inspiration, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

quite beautiful pictures!!! Congrats!

VedatC.

KEEP READING - MORE GREAT STUFF IN OLDER POSTS